Equatorial Guinea sacks WHO rep for “falsifying” the country’s COVID-19 figures”.
Equatorial Guinea joins Burundi in the league of countries that have asked World Health Organization, WHO, country representatives to leave.
Equatorial Guinea have reportedly sacked a representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) for “falsifying” the country’s figures of Coronavirus cases.
AFP confirmed the news, citing a document from the foreign ministry and a source at the UN health agency
The international news agency claimed WHO’s representative Triphonie Nkurunziza is accused of “falsifying” the country’s tally of coronavirus cases. But the doctor remains in Malabo for now because there are no outbound flights to enable her to leave the country.
“We don’t have a problem with the WHO, we have a problem with the WHO’s representative in Malabo,” Prime Minister Pascual Obama Asue, told the Senate late last week
AFP quotes a source at the UN office in the capital, Malabo, as saying: “The government has asked her to go, we have received a document – she is accused of falsifying COVID-19 figures”.
As of Thursday morning, there have been 1306 confirmed cases of Coronavirus Equatorial Guinea with 12 deaths, 200 recoveries, and 1094 active cases.
Burundi in mid-May 2020 sacked the World Health Organization’s top official in the country just days before the May 22 presidential election and after the WHO raised concerns about crowded political rallies.
A foreign ministry letter seen by The Associated Press says the WHO representative to Burundi, Walter Kazadi Mulombo, has been declared persona non grata and must leave the East African nation by Friday. The letter also sacked three WHO experts.
The letter gives no explanation for the expulsions at the time. The WHO Africa regional chief, Matshidiso Moeti, described Mulombo as an “extremely competent person” and said the WHO was communicating with Burundi “to clarify and understand the reasoning for the decision they have taken.”