Manchester City will be free to play Champions League football next season after the Court of Arbitration for Sport overturned the club’s two-year ban from European competitions imposed by UEFA on Monday.
Also, an initial fine of 30 million euros was reduced to 10 million euros on appeal.
In February, Manchester City were handed the suspension by UEFA’s club financial control body for “serious breaches” of club licensing and financial fair play regulations.
However, the club vehemently denied any wrongdoing and appealed the decision at CAS last month, after previously describing the UEFA disciplinary process as “prejudicial”.
After hearing evidence in June, CAS has now lifted the suspension – meaning City are free to compete in the Champions League next season, having secured second place in the Premier League with a 5-0 win over Brighton on Saturday.
On Saturday after the match, Man City manager Pep Guardiola said he was confident the ban would be lifted and insisted his side deserved to play in European football’s elite competition.
According to Sky Sports, Guardiola said,
“Today we achieved one incredible challenge, which is a qualification for the Champions League mathematically.”
“That is the challenge that is the minimum requirement for this club. And these players have done it for the last six or seven years.”
“We deserve to be there because we won it on the pitch. Hopefully on Monday UEFA can allow us to play like this team and these players deserve to.”